Search This Blog

Thursday, April 19, 2012

Simplicity

I have been hanging on to two books for weeks now because I wanted to blog about them.  Tonight, I am. In doing so, I am toasting simplicity. 

One book, Dot by Patricia Intriago, has just a few words per page, and the illustrations are altered versions of a basic, black circle.  It manages to teach opposites and rhyme so seamlessly that kids probably miss the lesson and just enjoy watching the dot's shifting characteristics.

The other book, Higher! Higher! by Leslie Patricelli has colorful illustrations of a girl on a swing.  As many children do, she begs her dad to push her higher.  With just a few words, the illustrations convey the extreme lengths of her trip.  (It may not actually be possible to swing to outer space, but it is fun to imagine that it is).

While neither book is probably a huge vocabulary builder, they both provide wonderful jumping-off points for children to do their own storytelling.  I am always a fan of the planted question, "What if?"  I am awe-struck by those capable of planting the question using sparce language.  Kudos, Intriago and Patricelli!

No comments:

Post a Comment