Search This Blog

Friday, November 8, 2013

Blog Finale

Thank you to everyone who visited this blog. You are welcome to refer back to it and to use it (although please cite when that applies). As the focus of this blog was how I incorporate early literacy concepts from my librarianship into parenting my daughter, the fact that I have stopped writing makes sense. She is a first grade student now. Exploring and enjoying language (both in books and in our environment) continues. However, the approach changes. She can read more and more on her own. I can ask her different questions now than I did when she was younger. I feel confident that she started school with a strong foundation in expressing her thoughts, feelings, and imaginings. She has a strong vocabulary. I often am awestruck by the observations she makes and the unique perspective that she brings to each situation.

Also, my professional focus has shifted from providing early literacy services to supporting educators in their use of the library. So, I have to be knowledgeable in our resources geared for kindergarten through twelfth grade students. My approach is one of outreach where I go to them more often than they come to me. This is an urban area, so minimizing driving maximizes our ability to have an impact. As of Summer 2013, I have been a monthly contributor to Lizz Zitron's blog at The Outreach Librarian.

I appreciate your readership and all you do to help children bloom and grow.

Peace,

Anna Francesca Garcia

No comments:

Post a Comment